EASTMAN WATERFRONT RETREAT WELCOME GUIDE
Eastman Waterfront Retreat Welcome Guide
We are delighted to share our house with you and trust that you will enjoy the magic of the Retreat and of Bowen Island as much as we do. We know you will enjoy the spectacular view and comfort of the Eastman Waterfront Retreat as well as the quiet tranquility. To assist you with your getaway plans we have some helpful information about getting to Bowen and what to do while on Bowen
While in the house, contact Jan for any needs:
Ms. Jan Stevens,
1-702-281-3529 WhatsSpp text & cell
CHECK IN: 3 PM (ask if a 3 pm check in is available)
CHECK OUT: 11 AM (please no late check out)
THE KEY & Wi-Fi
T he access code and directions how to use the key lock box, as well as the network password will be emailed to you 5 days prior to your arrival. Watch for the email and if you have not received it, please check your spam folder.
From Snug Cove to the Eastman Waterfront Retreat
- When disembarking from the ferry (by car, bike or on foot) follow the traffic straight up Government Road, past the Public Library on the right (0.1 km), past the General Store on the left (0.4 km), and past Miller Road (0.5 km).
- At the top of the hill, right after the Public School on the right, bear right onto Mt. Gardner Road (0.8 km). Continue on Mt. Gardner Road past the Recycling Center on the right and Bowen Island’s only gas station on the left (1.6 km).
- Continue along Mt. Gardner Road past Killarney Lake on the right (2.2 km) and past where the neighborhood Mailboxes are kept on the left (3.0 km), until you reach a “Y” in the road where Mt. Gardner Road and Woods Lane fork (3.9 km). Bear to the left to remain on Mt. Gardner Road.
- Continue on Mt. Gardner Road past the Government Dock on the right (5.0 km), past #1620 Mt. Gardner Road on the right (5.2 km), and past the signs saying “End of Public Road”, “Private Property – No Trespassing” and “Do Not Enter”.
- Our house, #1638 Mt. Gardner Road, is just past the “Do Not Enter” signs on the right (5.3 km).
Two options for parking at the house (in order of most to least convenient for access to the house): (1) The parking spot is near the gate that enters into the garden; (2) There is also a spot where the rock stairs descend to the front door.
Rain or shine Bowen Island is beautiful but it is best to be properly packed and prepared. Find your Bowen Weather forecast here.
Our online Bowen Guide will answer many of your questions in the below categories. Of course, if you still have questions feel free to contact us, we are happy to help.
For information on buses, ferries, water taxis, Bowen shuttle, scooters, road reports, directions from YVR, and more, visit our Transportation Page.
- BUS Sorry, the Bowen Island Shuttle bus has routes to Blue Water and to Eagle Cliff only. At this time the bus does not run to Mt. Gardner Road.
- HITCH HIKING is a common form of transportation on Bowen. Islanders are always eager to give guests a ride. Put on your friendly smile and you will be guaranteed a lift.
- WATER TAXI SERVICES
ORGANIC WASTE, RECYCLING, AND TRASH
We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply, feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
All waste regulations are required by the Bowen Island Municipality and the City of Vancouver. Please follow the below guidelines:
All trash, recycling and organic waste bins are located in the “trash drawer” directly across from the kitchen sink in the kitchen island.
ORGANIC WASTE: We provide 2 organic pails to separate your organic trash. They are located in the “trash drawer” across from the sink in the kitchen island. When the organic pails are full you can empty it into the “EASTMAN” GREEN organics bin in the roadside trash center. Organics pick up is every Wednesday. If your stay ends or overlaps with Wednesday’s pick up please take the Organics trash and place in the “EASTMAN” green organics bin in the roadside trash center as pictured. This area is directly across from our neighbours', at 1620 Mt. Gardner Road, just past the “Do Not Enter” signs.
RECYCLABLES: Please rinse, clean, and crush all recyclables. Use the bin in the TRASH DRAWER to collect your recyclables. If your recycle can overflows, feel free to remove your recycling and sort into the recycling bins in the Garden Shed, outside the kitchen door and to the back of the garden area. SORT into Paper, Plastic, Glass, & Tin. Items such as clean paper, plastic bottles, bags, metal, glass, batteries, and egg cartons are accepted. We appreciate you recycling your newspaper into our fireplace wood bin.
To find out more about what can be recycled, go to bowenislandrecyclingdepot.com
ALL OTHER TRASH: (Non-organic or non-recyclable) Collect the rest of your trash in the provided trash can in the kitchen trash drawer. Additional kitchen trash liners can be found in the bottom of the trash can. If you fill a trash bag during your stay, as with the organics pails, you may remove full bags to the #1638 can at our roadside trash centre/storage structure located just before you arrive at the property along Mt. Gardner Rd. (across from 1620 home).
If you anticipate wanting to burn more than that, we suggest buying log bundles off-island beforehand. The General Store and the Building Centre sell compressed logs, and have on occasion sold log bundles, but call ahead to see if they do.
May through September - no fireplace burning allowed.
No outdoor burning is allowed any time.
The Eastman Waterfront Retreat is on a well and has delicious alkaline water. Do leave the bottled water at home - No bottled water required.
WHAT IF THERE IS A POWER OUTAGE?
Storms can be exciting but high winds can leave us without power and water. We supply candles, matches, flashlights, and a bottle of drinking water. You can find these items in the pantry cupboard as you enter through the kitchen door.
- First morning pot of coffee
- Some tea selections
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil or other cooking oil
- A bit of sugar
- A bit of flour
- Plus more spices and a variety of other pantry items
At the Eastman Waterfront Retreat, we provide WiFi, a Flatscreen TV, Cable, a DVD player, an HDMI cable, a stereo system, and surround sound.
Books: If you would like to buy books on-island, we suggest you head to the library's used book sale shelf, or the used book sale room in the Heritage Cottage in Davies Orchard. The Knick Knack Nook (thrift store), and Phoenix (in Village Square) are also good for books and games.
CHECK OUT PROCEDURES
As if you are at your own home, prepare for the housekeepers by tidying up before your departure.
WE ASK THAT YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE AS CLEAN AND TIDY AS YOU FOUND IT UPON ARRIVAL.
We are proud of our team of outstanding Bowen housekeepers…showing them gratitude for their good work is appreciated.
- Wash all dirty glassware, dishes, flatware, pots and pans and put away. At the very least, start the dishwasher early as the cycle takes approximately 2 hours. The housekeepers can put the clean dishes away.
- Please remove your left over food items from the refrigerator.
- Your sorted organics, recycling and garbage in the kitchen trash centre will be removed by our housekeepers. However, please remove any overflow trash & organics to the roadside trash centre as detailed above. Overflow recycling goes in the shed, as detailed above. We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle
- No need to strip or make up the beds, but do please leave "as is" so the cleaners know which ones to wash and make up.
- Please leave your used towels, cloths and dish cloths on the floor in the laundry room.
- If you have rearranged the furniture please move the furniture back to their original locations.
- Please turn the thermostats down to 54 on the ground floor. Turn all thermostats upstairs to "off". Please turn off all the lights. We are doing our part to conserve power.
- Double check that all doors are locked.
- Remember to leave the key in the lock box.
If you have noticed anything during your stay that needs attention (burnt out light bulb, switch doesn't work, no more sugar, etc.) please leave us a note so we can address it.
Have a safe trip home and come back and stay with us again.
If you have any additional questions about your visit to Bowen Island please give me a call. Most of all, enjoy your stay at the Eastman properties.