Eastman Waterfront Cottage Welcome Guide
EASTMAN WATERFRONT COTTAGE WELCOME GUIDE
Welcome and thank you for your payment and the signed rental agreement. We are delighted to share our cottage with you and trust that you will enjoy the magic of the house and Bowen Island as much as we do. We know you will enjoy the spectacular view and comfort of the Eastman Waterfront cottage as well as the quiet tranquility. To assist you with your getaway plans we have some helpful information about getting to Bowen and what to do while on Bowen.
CHECK IN: 3 PM (please no early check in)
CHECK OUT: 11 AM (please no late check out)
THE KEY & Wi-Fi
The access code and directions how to use the key lock box, as well as the network password will be emailed to you 5 days prior to your arrival. Watch for the email and if you have not received it, please check your spam folder.
From Snug Cove to the Eastman Waterfront CottageWhen disembarking from the ferry (by car, bike or on foot) follow the traffic straight up Government Road, past the Public Library on the right (0.1 km), past the General Store on the left (0.4 km), and past Miller Road (0.5 km).
- At the top of the hill, right after the Public School on the right, bear right onto Mt. Gardner Road (0.8 km). Continue on Mt. Gardner Road past the Recycling Center on the right and Bowen Island’s only gas station on the left (1.6 km).
- Continue along Mt. Gardner Road past Killarney Lake on the right (2.2 km) and past where the neighborhood Mailboxes are kept on the left (3.0 km), until you reach a “Y” in the road where Mt. Gardner Road and Woods Lane fork (3.9 km). Bear to the left to remain on Mt. Gardner Road.
- Continue on Mt. Gardner Road past the Government Dock on the right (5.0 km), past #1620 Mt. Gardner Road, on the right (5.2 km), and past the signs saying “End of Public Road”, “Private Property – No Trespassing” and “Do Not Enter”.
- Our house, #1628 Mt. Gardner Road, just past the 1620 address sign.
- Turn right at the “End of Public Road” sign on the right (5.3 km).
- Follow the gravel driveway down toward the water and veer to the right.
- You may park in front of the little brown cottage (the large house on your left is the Eastman Waterfront Retreat. The owner of the Cottage lives in the large house. )
You can park your car in the tree lined driveway just outside of the little brown cottage.
If you are arriving after dark we recommend that you bring a flash light to light your way along the path to the door.
Rain or shine Bowen Island is beautiful but it is best to be properly packed and prepared. Find your Bowen Weather forecast here.
Our online Bowen Guide will answer many of your questions in the below categories. Of course, if you still have questions feel free to contact us, we are happy to help.
Eastman Cottage guests need to have a vehicle to get to and from the cottage. It is not accessible by bus or other means of transportation.
NO UBERS OR TAXIS ARE AVAILABLE ON BOWEN ISLAND
For information on buses, ferries, water taxis, Bowen shuttle, scooters, road reports, directions from YVR, and more, visit our TRANSPORTATION Page.
- BUS Sorry, the Bowen Island Shuttle bus has routes to Blue Water and to Eagle Cliff only. At this time the bus does not run to Mt. Gardner Road.
- HITCH HIKING is a common form of transportation on Bowen. Islanders are always eager to give guests a ride. Put on your friendly smile and you will be guaranteed a lift.
- WATER TAXI SERVICES
ORGANIC WASTE, RECYCLING, AND TRASH
We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
All waste regulations are required by the Bowen Island Municipality and the City of Vancouver. Please follow the below guidelines:
The location of indoor bins for organics, recycling, and waste is in the lower cabinet-drawer to the right of the sink, (between the sink and the fridge).
ORGANIC WASTE: We provide an organics pail in the lower drawer to the right of the sink for your organic trash. Organics pick up is every Wednesday. If your stay ends or overlaps with Wednesday’s pick up please take the Organics trash and place in the “EASTMAN” green organics trash can in the neighbourhood trash centre as pictured. This area is at the top of the driveway and directly across from our neighbours', 1620 Mt. Gardner Road.
RECYCLABLES: Please rinse, clean, and crush all recyclables. Collect your recyclables in the lower cabinet to the right of the sink. Is your recycling overflowing? You can remove the recycling and separate into the bins outside just to the right of the laundry shed. Otherwise, our house keeper will remove your recyclables to the recycle bins after your stay.
The following items are recycled: Paper, Plastic, Glass, Tin, newspaper, clean paper, plastic bottles, bags, metal, glass, batteries, and egg cartons are accepted.
To find out more about what can be recycled, go to bowenislandrecyclingdepot.com
ALL OTHER TRASH: (Non organic or non-recyclable) Collect the rest of your trash in the provided trash can in the lower cabinet to the right of the sink. Additional kitchen trash liners can be found in the bottom of the trash can. When full, tie off your trash bag and place in trash can with the EASTMAN NON-Organics permit #1638 or #1628 sticker located in the neighbourhood garbage area along Mt. Gardener Road just across from the 1620 sign.
While dogs are welcome for an added fee and with our approval, we ask that you please bring the following items to protect our property and ensure your pet’s comfort.
- Towels, to wipe muddy paws.
- A blanket or dog bed (no pets on the furniture).
- Pet brush, to contain pet hair. (Please dispose of fur in the green bin).
The Eastman Waterfront Cottage is on a well, and has delicious alkaline water. No bottled water required.
WHAT IF THERE IS A POWER OUTAGE?
Storms can be exciting but high winds can leave us without power and water. We supply candles, matches, flashlights, and a bottle of drinking water. You can find these items in the cupboard above the refrigerator. The flashlights are located in the black book case in the right cupboard.
To receive outage updates go to: https://www.bchydro.com/power-outages
If your outage isn't listed, report it to BC Hydro by calling 1-888 POWERON (1 888 769 3766) from a corded landline, or *49376(*HYDRO) on your mobile phone.
HOW TO RESTART THE WELL WATER PUMP
- Double check that the breakers are “ON”. The breaker box is located in the main bedroom.
- Head to the shed next to the cottage.
- At the bottom of the pump is a grey box with a chrome lever. Lift up on the lever and hold for 2 - 3 minutes. After 2-3 minutes You will hear the water pressure flowing in the tank. Watch the water pressure gauge. Once the water pressure is over 20 psi you can release the lever.
Video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8i6c8DyjOig
WOOD BURNING IS ALLOWED FOR OUR GUESTS STAYING OCTOBER 1 - APRIL 30
(no woodstove burning May through September)
NO OUTDOOR BURNING any time
- First morning pot of coffee from a drip coffee maker
- Some tea selections
- Salt & pepper
- Olive oil or other cooking oil
- A bit of sugar
- A bit of flour
CHECK OUT PROCEDURES
As if you are at your own home, prepare for the housekeepers by tidying up before your departure.
WE ASK THAT YOU LEAVE THE HOUSE AS CLEAN AND TIDY AS YOU FOUND IT UPON ARRIVAL.
We are proud of our team of outstanding Bowen housekeepers…showing them gratitude for their good work is appreciated.
- Please wash & dry the dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans and put them away.
- Remove any leftover food from the refrigerator.
- Leave the recycling and the organics separated as requested. The cleaners will remove the recycling and organics. *We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply, feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.*
- FOR EXTENDED STAY GUESTS ~Non-Organic Trash / garbage: Please take the garbage with you as you leave the property and place in the blue trash can labeled 1638 Mt. Gardner Road. The trash can is at the top of the driveway in the neighbourhood trash area just across from the home #1620. Be certain to secure the lid of the trash can.
- No need to strip or make up the beds, but do please leave "as is" so the cleaners know which ones to wash and make up.
- Place used towels and cloths in the bottom of the shower.
- If you have moved the furniture or lamps please place them back in their original locations.
- Before you leave please turn the thermostats down to 10 or in the warmer months turn to “off” and turn off all the lights. We are doing our part to conserve power.
- Before you leave, please sign the guest book
- Remember to lock the seaside door, and the dead bolt and lower lock of the roadside door. Then place the keys back in the lock box.
If you have noticed anything during your stay that needs attention (burnt out light bulb, switch doesn't work, no more sugar, etc.) please leave us a note so we can address it.
Have a safe trip home and come back and stay with us again.
If you have any additional questions about your visit to Bowen Island please give me a call. Most of all, enjoy your stay at the Eastman properties.
Contact Jan if you have any questions about your stay.
702-281-3529 Whatsapp text