Lazy Bowen Hideaway Welcome Guide
Lazy Bowen Hideaway Welcome Guide
Thank you for the signed rental agreement. We know you will enjoy the spectacular view and casual comfort of the Lazy Bowen Hideaway as well as the quiet tranquility. To assist you with your getaway plans we have provided you with some helpful information about getting to Bowen and what to do while on Bowen.
CHECK IN: @ 3 PM (We may be able to allow a 3 pm check-in, call the day of your arrival to see if available)
CHECK OUT: @ 11 AM (please no late check out)
THE KEY The keyless access code will be emailed 5 days prior to your arrival. Watch for the email and if you have not received it, please check your spam folder.
WE RECOMMEND LEAVING THE THUMBTURN KNOB IN THE VERTICAL POSITION / UNLOCKED during the daytime to remove the need of using the keypad to enter.
WHEN ENTERING THE LAZY BOWEN HIDEAWAY PLEASE WALK LIKE ON MARSHMALLOWS
No elephant stomping!!! You are sharing a condo like structure with groundfloor neighbours below you. Please remove your street shoes to protect the floor and walk on marshmallows across the floor. Your Suite neighbours will appreciate your courtesy.
FREE WI-FI: The network password will be emailed to you with the house access codes, 5 days prior to your arrival
THE WEATHER Rain or shine Bowen Island is beautiful, but it is best to be properly packed and prepared. Find your Bowen Weather forecast here.
BOWEN GUIDE ONLINE ~ Our online Bowen Guide will answer many of your questions in the below categories. Of course, if you still have questions feel free to contact us, we are happy to help.
- Health & Wellness
- Dining out
DIRECTIONS TO THE Lazy Bowen Hideaway - From Snug Cove
Google Map driving directions from the ferry landing in Snug Cove to 1475 Cleator Road.
Driving directions from Snug Cove to the Lazy Bowen Hideaway & Lazy B Waterfront Suite:
It takes 8 minutes to drive from Snug Cove to Cleator Road. The distance is 2.3 miles / 3.8 Kilometers.
- Exit the Ferry in Snug Cove and drive .03 miles / .048 kilometers along BOWEN ISLAND TRUNK RD.
- Turn RIGHT onto MILLER RD, (the first- way intersection). Drive for 1 mile / 1.6k
- Turn LEFT onto SCARBOROUGH RD and continue up the hill. Drive for 0.2 miles / .032k
- Keep RIGHT to stay on SCARBOROUGH ROAD. Drive for 0.1 miles / .016k
- Slight LEFT onto EAGLE CLIFF RD. Drive for 0.2 miles / .032k
- Keep LEFT to stay on EAGLE CLIFF RD. Drive for 0.6 miles / .096k
- You are getting close.......
- LANDMARKS TO WATCH FOR:
- SLOW DOWN when you see Highland Trail on the left and .....
- On the right-hand side of the road, you will see 1481 & 1485 Eagle Cliff Road.
- SLOW DOWN.
- Cleator Road is at the end of their fence on the right as seen in the photo.
- If you have 2WD continue one bush past Cleator Road along EAGLE CLIFF RD. Angle park in the open space on the right. You know you are in the right area when you see the neighborhood mailboxes too.
- If you have 4 Wheel or All Wheel drive, continue down CLEATOR ROAD. Follow the Cleator Road driving directions. You have gone too far if you drive past Banister Road.
OUR ROAD IS 4-WHEEL OR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE ONLY - WHAT THIS MEANS
NO EXCEPTIONS – ONLY ALL-WHEEL OR 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES CAN DRIVE DOWN CLEATOR ROAD TO THE LAZY BOWEN HIDEAWAY.
2-Wheel Drive VEHICLES ~Once you arrive at Cleator Road, if you are driving a 2 wheel drive vehicle, please ANGLE park your vehicle along Eagle Cliff Road, one bush past Cleator Road, in the turnout. Avoid parking in front of the mailboxes. Parking is always free.
Are you Parking along Eagle Cliff Road and walking down to our home? We suggest:
1) Wear walking shoes with good traction to grip the gravel road that is steep in spots.
2) Pack light and consider carrying your luggage as wheeled luggage does not travel well up or down the gravel access road.
3) Bring a flashlight if you are arriving after dark.
4) If you have physical limitations (bad knees, bad ankles, other health limitations) we recommend you inquire about our Cleator Road Shuttle Service.
CLEATOR ROAD SHUTTLE - $40 For our 2-wheel drive guests. You may be interested in the assistance of our Shuttle Driver to help you with your luggage and groceries. With synchronization of your arrival and departure times, our Driver can meet you upon arrival at the top of Cleator Road and at check-out at the Lazy Bowen Hideaway to drive you down and then up Cleator Road. Note that our driver will provide the vehicle but he will appreciate your assistance with loading and unloading the vehicle. Please let us know if we can coordinate this service for you and your family. (This service is dependent on our driver’s availability and may not be available for all requests.)
DRIVING A 4-WHEEL or ALL-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLE? Navigation down our access road, Cleator Road, requires a 4-wheel or All-wheel drive vehicle.
- A medium size 4-wheel drive vehicle such as a Ford Explorer or smaller is recommended.
- Driving a full size extra long truck? We recommend walking down the road first before attempting the drive.
- Cleator Road is an access road with loose gravel ~ not a city-like driveway.
- It has 3 tight turns
- It is steep in spots
- It will be damaged by anything other than a 4-wheel or all-wheel drive vehicle.
- A fine of $500 will be assessed and donated to the “Cleator Road Fund” from those that ignore this requirement.
PLEASE WATCH THIS SHORT VIDEO TUTORIAL ON HOW TO DRIVE DOWN OUR DRIVEWAY/ CLEATOR ROAD.
(This is very important to keep the peace in our neighbourhood and for me to be able to continue to offer our home as a vacation rental)
Cleator Road is privately funded and maintained with neighborhood labor and money. Please respect the rules of Cleator Road and do as the neighbours do…. Drive All or 4-wheel drive vehicles only.
It is the challenge of Cleator Road that maintains the quiet privacy of the Lazy Bowen Hideaway.
For more in-depth information on buses, ferries, water taxis, Bowen shuttle, scooters, road reports, directions from YVR, and more, visit our Transportation Page.
- 281 EAGLECLIFF BUS ROUTE is a friendly and reliable way to get around Bowen. Just wave the bus down. If you choose to use the service, the drivers will pick you up or drop you right at the top of Cleator Road along Eagle Cliff. Here is the schedule: Eagle Cliff to Snug Cove & back. Or call 604-947-0229 for more information
- HITCHHIKING - Put your smile on, stick your thumb out and hitch a ride. Islanders will be happy to pick you up and take drop you off along the way. It is a legal way to get a lift on Bowen.
- WATER TAXI SERVICES If you miss the last BC ferry from Horseshoe Bay or you want a late night out on the mainland, count on the Cormorant Marine Water Taxi to get you back to Bowen. (604-250-2630 firstname.lastname@example.org)
THERE IS NO UBER OR TAXI ON BOWEN
- First-morning pot of coffee (drip coffee maker)
- fresh coffee beans and coffee grinder
- various tea selections
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- various other spices
- a wide assortment of pots and pans
- rice maker
- pancake griddle
- filtered drinking water and filtered ice ~ bottled water is unnecessary
QUIET TIME - LAZY BOWEN HIDEAWAY & LAZY B WATERFRONT SUITE A COTTAGE / DUPLEX
The upper floor Lazy Bowen Hideaway & the ground floor Lazy B Waterfront Suite are self-contained with separate entrances, decks, and parking areas. Similar to a B&B, normal conversation voices and normal TV volumes are required. Quiet Time is requested between 10 pm and 9 am so everyone can enjoy the quiet tranquility of the Lazy Bowen Hideaway and the Lazy B Waterfront Suite.
REMEMBER TO WALK ON MARSHMALLOWS - no elephant stomping. Your Suite neighbours will appreciate your thoughtfulness.
IS IT AFTER 10 PM? SHHHHH......... NO LOUD TV, Music, Voices, or Foot stomping.
Are the Suite guests disturbing your Quiet Time? Contact me ASAP: Call 604 800 1486 or text 702 281 3529.
SEASIDE ANDERSON DOUBLE DOORS
These doors are beautiful and open out to the seaside air and view. Please always use the hooks to secure the doors against the house when open.
OPENING THE DOORS - to open the operative/right side door turn the thumb knob to the horizontal position and push down on the handle. To open the stationary side (left door) push down on the handles and the door will swing open.
Always use the hooks to secure the doors against the house when open.
LOCKING THE DOORS is different from other doors. When closing the “stationary side” pull the handle UP as far as it can go. This action will lock the pins in the header and threshold. To lock the operative side, pull the handle UP and at the same time turn the thumb knob to the locked position.
GAMES AND ENTERTAINMENT
The large blue cabinet in the front bedroom is full of Classic VHS movies, some DVDs, cards, and games.
ORGANIC WASTE, RECYCLING, AND TRASH
We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply, feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
Recycling is required by the Bowen Island Municipality. Please follow the following guidelines:
ORGANIC WASTE: We provide an organics pail to separate your organic trash. It can be found under the kitchen sink. We line the pail with paper towel and suggest placing all other paper towel and paper plates in the pail to absorb the organic moisture. When the compost pail is full you can empty it into the Black trash can with the Organics Permit in the Lazy Bowen Hideaway parking area.
RECYCLING: PLEASE WASH, RINSE AND CLEAN ALL RECYCLING. There is blue bin on the left side of the kitchen island for you to collect your clean recycling. When the blue recycle bin is full please sort into the white bins in the Lazy Bowen Hideaway parking area trash center. Items such as newspaper, clean paper, plastic bottles, bags, metal, glass, batteries, and egg cartons are accepted.
ALL OTHER TRASH : (Non-organic or non-recyclable) Collect the rest of your trash in the provided trash can under the sink. Additional kitchen trash liners can be found in the bottom of the trash can. When full, tie off your trash bag and place in the navy blue trash can with the NON-Organics permit located in our Hideaway parking area.
WOOD FIRE SEASON FOR THE FIREPLACE INSERT
October - April: Fires in the fireplace are allowed assuming there has been a good rainfall and while firewood supplies last. We supply a limited amount of firewood (5 logs per night) for your evening fires. NOTE: if you would like to burn wood during the day feel free to purchase seasoned dry wood prior to arriving on Bowen to supplement our wood supply.
May 1– September 30: No fires in the fireplace.
VERY IMPORTANT ~ Never use wet wood or beach wood gathered from the surrounding area. This will deposit creosote in the flue creating a dangerous fire situation. You are welcome to bring along your own seasoned dried wood.
For additional fire building suggestions visit our Storm Season page and learn how to build your fire upside down to conserve your wood and to build a long burning fire.
EXTREME FIRE HAZARD WARNING – NO BEACH FIRES, NO CAMPFIRES, NO OUTDOOR BURNING
No outdoor burning allowed at any time of the year.
WHAT IF THERE IS A POWER OUTAGE
Storms can be exciting but high winds can leave us without power. We supply tea light candles, matches, and battery operated lanterns. You can find these items in the cupboard above the stove.
NOTE: We do not have a generator. If the power goes out think of it as comfortable camping and enjoy the storm.
Bowen Online phone directory - http://www.bowen-island-bc.com/directory/directory.html
For all things Bowen Island stop by and visit the Tourism Bowen Island web site - http://www.tourismbowenisland.com/
CHECK OUT PROCEDURES:
As if you are at your own home, prepare for the housekeepers by tidying up before your departure.
That means putting the pillows back where you found them, removing the rocks or shells that you collected.......little stuff like that.
We are proud of our team of outstanding Bowen housekeepers…showing them gratitude for their good work is appreciated.
- Please wash the dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans and put them away.
- Remove any leftover food from the refrigerator.
- Remove the garbage, recycling, and the organics to the proper trash can in the Hideaway parking area/ trash center. *We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
- Leave the beds unmade and the linens on top of the beds.
- Damp towels and cloths can be left hanging askew on the bathroom towel bar. This allows them to air dry and we know that they have been used.
- If you have moved the furniture or lamps please place them back in their original locations.
- Before you leave please turn the thermostats down to 10 or in the warmer months turn to “off” and turn off all the lights. We are doing our part to conserve power.
- Before you leave please sign the guest book.
- Remember to leave the key on the kitchen island.
- Upon exiting lock the door and pull it closed behind you.
- Have a safe trip home and come back and stay with us again.
If you have any additional questions about your visit to Bowen Island please give me a call. Most of all, enjoy your stay at the Lazy B Waterfront Suite.
BE SURE TO BE LAZY,
604 800 1486 office
702 281 3529 WhatsApp text