Whole House Welcome Guide
Welcome Guide -
Whole House = Lazy Bowen Hideaway + Lazy B Waterfront Suite
Thank you for the signed rental agreement. We know you will enjoy the spectacular view and casual comfort of the Whole House = Lazy Bowen Hideaway + Lazy B Waterfront Suite, as well as the quiet tranquility. To assist you with your getaway plans we have provided you with some helpful information about getting to Bowen and what to do while on Bowen.
CHECK IN: @ 3 PM (please no early check in)
CHECK OUT: @ 11 AM (please no late check out)
THE KEY & WI-FI
The keyless access codes for both entries & free WIFI passwords will be emailed to you 5 days prior to your arrival. Watch for the email and if you have not received it, please check your spam folder.
Hideaway front door tip: We recommend leaving the thumbturn knob in the vertical position / unlocked during the daytime to remove the need of using the keypad to enter.
Waterfront Suite entry door: The entry gate is down the road just past the Hideaway entry gate. The access code will be emailed 5 days prior to your arrival.
Rain or shine Bowen Island is beautiful, but it is best to be properly packed and prepared. Find your Bowen Weather forecast here.
Our online Bowen Guide will answer many of your questions in the below categories. Of course, if you still have questions feel free to contact us, we are happy to help.
*OUR DRIVEWAY / PRIVATE ACCESS ROAD IS 4-WHEEL OR ALL-WHEEL DRIVE ONLY*
NO EXCEPTIONS – ONLY ALL-WHEEL OR 4-WHEEL DRIVE VEHICLES CAN DRIVE DOWN CLEATOR ROAD TO THE LAZY BOWEN HIDEAWAY.
NEVER DRIVE A 2WD VEHICLE DOWN CLEATOR ROAD
4 WHEEL DRIVE OR AWD DRIVE REQUIRED
A MINIMUM $500 FINE ASSESSED IF VIOLATED
2 Wheel Drive Vehicles park for free at the top of our road. You may then take the short walk down, or pre-book our Shuttle Driver to assist you. See our DRIVING DIRECTIONS page for more information on Parking & the Cleator Road Shuttle service
PLEASE WATCH THIS SHORT VIDEO TO HEAR OUR CLEATOR ROAD TUTORIAL
For more in-depth information on buses, ferries, water taxis, Bowen shuttle, scooters, road reports, directions from YVR, and more, visit our Transportation Page .
- C281 EAGLE CLIFF BUS ROUTE is a friendly and reliable way to get around Bowen. Just wave the bus down. If you choose to use the service, the drivers will pick you up or drop you right at the top of Cleator Road along Eagle Cliff. Here is the schedule: Eagle Cliff to Snug Cove & back. Or call 604-947-0229 for more information
- HITCH HIKING - Put your smile on, stick your thumb out and hitch a ride. Islanders will be happy to pick you up and take drop you off along the way. It is a legal way to get a lift on Bowen.
- WATER TAXI SERVICES If you miss the last BC ferry from Horseshoe Bay or you want a late night out on the mainland, count on the Cormorant Marine Water Taxi to get you back to Bowen. (604-250-2630 email@example.com)
BE AWARE THERE ARE NO TAXIS OR UBERS ON BOWEN ISLAND
QUIET TIME: 10pm-9am
Quiet time is posted throughout the units as being between 10pm-9am, as usually both units are occupied by different guests. However, since you are booking the whole house, you can decide on this between yourselves, but as always, we ask that you respect these quiet times for our neighbours' sake, regarding any loud indoor sounds (e.g. music) and any outdoor voices and sounds. The Municipal Noise By Law is enforced: no loud outdoor noise after 10 pm.
ORGANIC WASTE, RECYCLING, AND TRASH
We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply, feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
Recycling is required by the Bowen Island Municipality. Please follow the following guidelines:
ORGANIC WASTE: We provide an organics pails in each unit to separate your organic trash. We line the pail with paper towel and suggest placing all other paper towel and paper plates in the pail to absorb the organic moisture. When the compost pail is full you can empty it into the Black trash can with the Organics Permit in the Lazy Bowen Hideaway parking area.
RECYCLING: To organize the recycling and trash we have separate bins. Please rinse, clean, and crush all recyclables. When the recycle compartment is full please sort into the white bins in the Lazy Bowen Hideaway parking area trash center. Items such as newspaper, clean paper, plastic bottles, bags, metal, glass, batteries, and egg cartons are accepted.
ALL OTHER TRASH: (Non-organic or non-recyclable) Collect the rest of your trash in the provided trash can. Additional kitchen trash liners can be found in the bottom of the trash can. When full, tie off your trash bag and place in the navy blue trash can with the NON-Organics permit located in our Hideaway parking area.
ALL RECYCLING, TRASH, AND ORGANICS GOES TO THE TRASH CENTER (pictured) located in the Lazy Bowen Hideaway parking area.
WOOD FIRES ARE ALLOWED OCTOBER THROUGH APRIL
Follow our video for easy fire building tips
May 1 – September 30: No fires in the fireplace or wood stove.
October – April: Fires in the wood burning fireplace are allowed. We supply 5 wood logs, plus kindling, and paper for each night's stay.
Firewood is the price of gold on Bowen. Would you would like to burn more wood? Feel free to do the following:
- Purchase 3 hour Presto logs from the Bowen General Store or the Bowen Building Centre.
- Purchase bundles of wood at the Bowen General Store while supplies last.
VERY IMPORTANT (both properties) ~ Never use wet wood or beach wood gathered from the surrounding area. This will deposit creosote in the flue creating a dangerous fire situation. You are welcome to bring along your own seasoned dried wood.
For additional fire building suggestions visit our Storm Season page and learn how to build your fire upside down to conserve your wood and to build a long burning fire.
EXTREME FIRE HAZARD WARNING – NO BEACH FIRES, NO CAMP FIRES, NO OUTDOOR BURNING
WHAT IF THERE IS A POWER OUTAGE?
Storms can be exciting but high winds can leave us without power. We supply tea light candles, matches, and battery operated lanterns. You can find these items in the lower drawer below the coffee maker in the Hideaway, and in the cupboard above the stove in the Suite.
NOTE: We do not have a generator. If the power goes out think of it as comfortable camping and enjoy the storm.
While dogs are welcome for an added fee and with our approval, we ask that you please bring the following items to protect our property and ensure your pet’s comfort.
- Towels, to wipe muddy paws.
- A blanket or dog bed (no pets on the furniture).
- Pet brush, to contain pet hair. (Please dispose of fur in the green bin).
HIDEAWAY: SEASIDE ANDERSON DOUBLE DOORS
These doors are beautiful and open out to the seaside air and view. LOCKING THE DOORS is different from other French doors and we receive many questions about "how to lock the doors?"
- Please always use the hooks to secure the doors against the house when open to the view.
- When closing the “stationary side” pull the handle UP as far as it can go. This action will lock the pins in the header and threshold.
- To lock the operative side, pull the handle UP and at the same time turn the thumb knob to the locked position.
CHECK OUT PROCEDURES
As if you are at your own home, prepare for the housekeepers by tidying up before your departure.
We are proud of our team of outstanding Bowen housekeepers…showing them gratitude for their good work is appreciated.
- Please wash the dishes, glasses, flatware, pots and pans and put them away. At the very least, start the dishwasher early as the cycle takes approximately 2 hours. If the dishwasher is not complete before your check out, no worries, the housekeepers can put the clean dishes away.
- If kitchen items have migrated between the suite and Hideaway please do your best to put it back in the correct kitchen.
- Remove any leftover food from the refrigerator.
- Remove the garbage, recycling, and the organics to the proper trash can in the Hideaway parking area/ trash center. *We realize that the trash regulations are detailed. If you feel you cannot comply feel free to bag all of your trash and remove it from Bowen in your own vehicle.
- No need to strip or make up the beds, but do please leave "as is" so the cleaners know which ones to wash and make up. This includes the sofa bed as well.
- Used towels and cloths can be tossed into the bottom of the shower in the Hideaway and the Suite.
- If you have moved the furniture or lamps please place them back in their original locations.
- Before you leave please turn the thermostats down to 10 or in the warmer months turn to “off” and turn off all the lights. We are doing our part to conserve power.
- Before you leave please sign the guest book.
- Lock doors:
- Suite: lock the entry door by putting the thumbturn knob in the horizontal position
- Hideaway: Lock front door by putting the thumbturn knob in the horizontal position.
If you have noticed anything during your stay that needs attention (burnt out light bulb, switch doesn't work, no sugar, etc.) please leave us a note so we can address it.
Have a safe trip home and come back and stay with us again.
If you have any additional questions about your visit to Bowen Island please give me a call. Most of all, enjoy your stay at the Whole House = Lazy Bowen Hideaway + Lazy B Waterfront Suite.
BE SURE TO BE LAZY,
Owner / Manager